Friday, May 02, 2008

So you think villages are peaceful?

I've often heard it said that parents and friends of peace corps volunteers enjoy reading blogs that clarify and explain life in the country being served. I would also enjoy a blog of that nature, something that approaches the peace corps goal of creating understanding on the part of Americans of the countries being served. It would certainly cut back on the crazy questions, maybe build a bridge between one place and another. These days we certainly have the tools to make the world feel markedly smaller than the era where volunteers went months between letters and drove dusty stretches of road just to reach a phone. Now some volunteers are able to bring an understanding of their lives here to those at home through the blog and similar mediums on a consistent basis. Looking back at all my posts, I realize that mine has never been that type of blog. I open tiny windows and hope that someone feels like looking in, but explanations have never been my modus operandi. Part of me hopes you'll have the same feeling I did when leaf-boy jumped around the village, and I don't want to spoil the confusion with the facts. I'm not assuming that people do or don't understand, or won't be left with questions. After all, being home again following nearly 3 years living in Africa, questions are all I'm left with, so those are what I feel like sharing.

1 Comments:

Blogger kristy said...

Colleen, that video was great... just like the rest of the insights you give through this blog. This is Kristy, by the way... still here in Africa... just finished IST and wanted to say we all missed you! Thanks for all of the work you've done for us. Keep in touch

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home