Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Aim for the stars, baby


Aspirations are important
Originally uploaded by mchughtie.
I'd like to thank the Charlemont police for reminding me to set my goals low. We must assume that there are 15% of people who we'd rather didn't wear their seat belts, those subversive commies. I would never accuse the watchdogs of engaging in futile activities, because arbitrarily assigning numbers to habits we'd like to enforce is a really fun way to pass the time. I just wish they'd asked me if I could be the person hiding in the bushes on Route two, tallying up the commuters with a death wish.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I'm bothered by the utter diregard for professional standards in the use of statistics. How are they calculating the usage rate? Is it updated in real time, hourly, daily, what? What's the margin of error?

You bring up a good point about the other 15%. What happens after it exceeds 85%? Does someone get a bonus and certificate for "Outstanding Compliance Goal Management"? (I bet that would look good on a law enforcement resume.) At 86% do they start discouraging seat belt use to get back to the goal?

P.S. can I still be a subversive commie if I wear a seatbelt?

10:17 AM  
Blogger mchughtie said...

Yeah, and what really bugs me is that they supposedly have a big enough sample to claim "72%". We're talking Charlemont at 7:55 a.m. How many cars have even driven by?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Sounds like a scam to me.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Erin MacLachlan said...

didn't i post something here before?
did colleen erase it?
did i imagine it?
anyway, i meant to say...i aim for 85% about 20% of the time. except when it comes to seatbelts. then i perform at 100% always.

4:21 PM  
Blogger mchughtie said...

I solved the mystery Erin, because I thought you had commented too. (And I never erase comments, not that I know how to.)
You posted on Flikr, where this picture lives. (You kooky lass.)

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home