Tuesday, December 27, 2005

On Burning and such


My neighbor, Sini
Originally uploaded by mchughtie.
On Christmas eve I learned that my favorite restaurant, the place whose salads I dream of when I fall asleep after dinners involving powdered milk and bidik margerine, burned down. Information like that is hard to understand from here, too many questions pop up. I want to know how severe, what they're doing, whether the community is helping, why no one told me. It also brought up the bigger issue that I'm confronted with here, the fact that I know nothing. The place I used to bop around in, my homeland, in my mind, is exactly how I left it until someone informs me otherwise. While I'm studying a basket of rice for grains that crawl, things are happening outside over there. Will I return to a Western Mass I cannot recognize, where flowers on bridges have been pulled up, where the health food store has introduced self-checkout, and where cousins occupy former apartments?

2 Comments:

Blogger mchughtie said...

I came back to village and all the kids screamed and ran up to me and chanted "Mariama Naata." Then I entered my house, Ani was with me, and Ed, Kim and Patrick were inside with party poppers and surprised us. It was good to get back, but I'm pretty sure we have a high concentration of PCV's in this country.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not telling you was like keeping the idea of Santa still being real
we hated to tell you as much as hearing the awful news in the first place. Much community work is being done to restore the Bottel of Bread Koko, artists, THe Night Kitchen, THe River etc.

Sorry

Caroline

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home