Friday, December 02, 2005

Sometimes I wake up


Amelia and Mama
Originally uploaded by mchughtie.
Sometimes I wake up to the Imam calling prayer, long before my body is anywhere near ready to move itself in an upward direction, and I think, "Oh yeah, I live in Africa now." My second thought is often, "What is crawling on my leg?" or "Is that a baby crying, or a goat?" I give my mind some time to re-form, to recognize my surroundings, to connect to my limbs and senses, and wait for some other sign of morning as I know it, be it light, rice pounding, the sound of the pump. There's no sense in missing the sunrise when you're already awake, so I usually pull myself out of my netted cocoon, coax the spiders out of my sneakers, and make my way out of the village. My neighbors yell to me as I pass, greeting me in no less than four languages. They've been up for hours, praying, working, trying to keep ahead of the sun. Still, I'm a curiosity, going out just to go, no bucket or bundle or machete in tow, just me, roaming, me, trying to sneak away for a bit, looking for that perfect space in the day when no one notices the Toubab brushing past on her way to nowhere. It's a strange hobby, being an individual in a communal society.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin MacLachlan said...

Dear Colleen,
I have to apologize. I wrote you a long long letter and put together a little package of love for you way back in July, even before I truly missed you. And I hoped you would get it when you were in need, before you had settled, so you would know I was thinking of you. But for some stupid reason I never got around to sending it, and I'm a stupid, stupid ninny-head for it. And now it's so outdated that I am working on another new package to send along with it so you will really know what's going on, and I've been refraining from emailing this to you because it's so easy to email and so non-special. But now it seems you've been online a lot and I'm thinking you may think I am neglecting you, and I am, but not intentionally.

I MISS YOU LIKE HELL!!!!! And I promise I will get you special fancy stuff soon.

Love,
Erin

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home