Sunday, January 29, 2006

Dreaming of connectivity


Muso and I
Originally uploaded by mchughtie.
When I get home, or to Europe, or to some place with a power grid, I'm going to buy the fastest internet connection my readjustment allowance can buy. I'm going to get something that plugs directly into my brain stem, something where I can google my every whim and download Don Quixote read by Cheech Marin in five minutes. I'm gonna have a hard drive comparable to most universities to store the contents of my entire life. For now, I'll try to find the joy in washing my clothes in a bucket with a bar of soap that smells like old butter, but when I get back, look out Best Buy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I visited Portugal with a friend and her family, we stayed at a family home. I learned to wash and hang laundry in no time. And there it was more of a social activity. Those are the neat aspects of slowing life down and doing without some comforts. It has its frustations, but washing clothes by hand outside beats rush hour philly traffic any time!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you can wash and wait for the computer to adjust to working...

8:31 PM  
Blogger mchughtie said...

Usually what I do is go wait in line at the pump, bring back a bucket, go get another bucket, then soak the clothes for a little while in Omo soap before scrubbing them. The computer is a 7 hour bus ride away, so I would probably hang them on my fence to dry first. Of course, I could always just do with out clean clothes. What I meant to say was, I could always do without a computer... No, even here, it's worth the aggrevation.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home